Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ready or not, here I go!

Whew! What a week! For the first time since my maternity leave, I took a week off of work this past week. I was actually between jobs -- my last day at Avid was the 7th and my first day at my new job at Fidelity is tomorrow. So, I took a week to "get stuff done" before the craziness of a new job starts. As you might imagine, this wasn't exactly a "vacation" week, as there were plenty of things that needed doing. But, it was a good week.

Monday was Elliott's last day at daycare. Since I'll be commuting into Boston for work now, I won't be home in time to pick him up from daycare anymore. So, Grammi has offered to watch him three days, and the other two days a nanny will be here with him. So, I used Monday to do some shopping, since my professional wardrobe was a little lacking after working from home for the past year.

Then, on Tuesday, our new nanny started. I spent the day with Elliott and Maiza, to help her learn his routine and show her some fun places near our house they could hang out during the day. I was so relieved that Elliott took to her right away and had a great time. The highlight of the day for him was definitely when the construction crew showed up and started digging right at the end of our driveway. Woo-hoo! The construction has been ongoing on our street for weeks now (they're putting in new sidewalks and curbs) but this was the first day it was right at our front door. Excellent. What may be a noisy, inconvenient mess to the rest of the world, was a real treat for a little boy who LOVES trucks. He spent a good long while watching them tear up the street. Hey, whatever keeps him entertained.


Wednesday, Elliott and I spent the day hanging out together -- a real treat for a mommy who LOVES spending the day with her boy. Thursday, Maiza came back to spend another day getting to know Elliott. And I spent the day cleaning out my home office. Not so fun. Friday, Grammi came in so I could finish my clean up. Happy to say, I have successfully de-cluttered my life... at least the part of it I kept in my office. The rest will have to wait.
So, but the end of the week, I felt pretty much ready to tackle my new job. Except I was a little nervous about taking the train for the first time. So, Elliott and Dana went with me on a test ride into Boston today. I feel much more comfortable now, AND we had a fun day in Boston too! Elliott walked up and down the platform (with a little help) while we waited for the train...

When we got into Boston, we had lunch outside and then took some pictures in Copley Square. Since we missed doing mother's day photos this year, I was glad to get some pics of me and my little guy.


Elliott wanted to do lots of "walking" around...

And walked some more as we waited for our train home...

He walked SO much that by the time the train came, he was exhausted. Exhausted Elliott = MELTDOWN.

Fortunately, once the train got moving, he fell asleep in my arms and snoozed the whole way home.
Tonight, he's spending the night with Grammi and Papa so I can have a night to rest up before my big first day at work. Dana is leaving for a business trip at like 4am tomorrow, so it will be an eerily quiet house in the morning. A quiet house and tired lady... hmmm, hope I don't just sleep right through my alarm. Everyone keeps asking me if I feel ready. I guess so. Ready or not, here I go! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck!! You won't need it, but still. :) I hope your first day was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had fun seeing Elliott yesterday! He napped in the pack and play in Remy and Jack's room. Last night they kept hoping that he was coming back to sleep with them.
    Hope work went well:)

    ReplyDelete